Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The House with 24 Chairs

Tbilisi is a big city that is separated into "neighborhoods"--we live in Vake, which is kind of like the Manhattan of NYC (without the good bagels and pizza).

Our apartment is great (except for the fact that we don't have a dryer, dishwasher, or garbage disposal...minor details)! I think it might be bigger than our townhouse in Fairfax.

We live on the 6th floor. There is only one other apartment on our floor. When you first walk into our place, this is the hallway--it is huge. Often, it turns into a raceway for matchbox cars. If you turn left, there is the kitchen. If you turn right, you can go into the bedrooms. If you go straight through the double doors, you will be in our living room.



Here is our kitchen. The whole wall is windows and doors. Fantastic sunlight--which is very rare in Georgian apartments, so we are lucky!

While eating at the table, this is my view. I love looking out at the mountain!


When you round the corner of the kitchen, this is our formal dining room. The door slides open to close off the living room...but we never use it. You can also see AL's "teaching area" with their couch, big books, book bins, and alphabet charts.

A view of our living room from the dining room.

I am standing in the living room taking a shot of our computer area and a distant view of our dining room.


This is the hallway bathroom, better known as The Man Throne. Emet named it the first day we moved in and AL really think that is what it is called.


Hallway to the bedrooms:


Here is AL's room:

This is the bathroom in the master bedroom:


This is the master bedroom. I was going to make some funny comment about what goes on in here, but then remembered my mom reads this blog.

Here is the guest room. Look how empty and lonely it looks....COME VISIT!

Every bedroom has a balcony. We really only use it to dry our laundry though.

The guest bathroom/AL and Emet's bathroom:


One of the first mornings we were in our new apartment, I woke up and shuffled to the bathroom and was thrown back by the stench that came from somewhere within. It was beyond awful! It was a cross between rotten eggs and a large sewer plant. We called our landlord and quickly learned all about sewer gas and the piping system in Georgian apartments. There are drains on the floor of every bathroom. Some people close them off because the smell is so bad. We were told to add water to the drain every day. If we forget for one day, we are back to the cocktail of rotten eggs and sewer plants.

11 comments:

Denise said...

WOW, the place looks AMAZING! We don't have a garbage disposal or dishwasher either, we do have a dryer, but your kitchen is WAY better and you have a better guestroom. And I think we have the same tub in the master!

Monica said...

I noticed your tub in your pics of your house too! I love it because I can sit on that seat, not get wet, and give aidan and lucas a bath....no more leaning over the tub on my knees! The simple things....

Unknown said...

Your apartment is GORGEOUS! Plus, I love the sunlight and mountain view!

M said...

WOW!!! Not at all what I had imagined! It's so modern looking and HUGE! So, when we talk on the phone, where are you?
I am perplexed by the toilet. It looks...different.
Did you have to buy all of that furniture?

Kim said...

I hope to stay in that guestroom one day soon!

Monica said...

@ Steph-thanks!!! I love it too.

@ Michelle--in the living room at the computer. The toilet is square! Emet LOVES it...that is why he calls it The Man Throne! All of the furniture is the owner's...can't believe you thought it was my taste. I am insulted.

@Kim--name the day, and i will be at the airport to pick you up!

Anonymous said...

you can say it baby, it is where the magic happens! And we both know that this will not even come close to embarassing your mother:)

Monica said...

Yes, folks...I have taken a lover while overseas. I insist that he always post anonymously so Emet doesn't find out. Oops.

Anonymous said...

Monica-
No, I didn't think that was your taste in furniture but I didn't know if maybe that's all you could find over there. LOL. Or maybe you had one of those Rent-a-center places over there. lol. For some reason I have this third world country in my head so seeing a modern apt. throws me.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Very nice place... can't wait to enjoy it with all of you. The guest room is sooo inviting.

Tom said...

So I goofed! The October 3 comment is from me,Tom.