Saturday, April 10, 2010

Everyone Needs a "Kim" in their Lives

After 27 hours of traveling, and A losing his mind in the customs line because he had to have milk, we were greeted by our good friend, Kim! She drove from Alexandria, stopped at my house to get our car seats (but really. do we even need these anymore?), and waited at the airport for us. Grabbing the luggage cart from L before he crashed once again into an unsuspecting traveler, she found a corner to chat with my boys while I searched for milk. I was so relieved to finally have another adult who could be responsible for my kids, even if for just two minutes.

We walked outside, stripped off a few layers (man, was it HOT!) and loaded the zillion bags into her jeep. AL were in a trance-like state and were not saying much at all. When we pulled into our driveway, Kim quietly whispered that the Easter bunny had paid a visit to our house. THE EASTER BUNNY! In all my worry about traveling and leaving Emet, I had completly forgotten!

On the kitchen table were two baskets, filled with chocolate and toys. My kids were thrilled! They couldn't believe the Easter bunny had come to our house while we were away. As they munched on chocolate Easter eggs, Kim showed me the bag she left for the next day. It was filled with Easter eggs chocked full of jelly beans. The mismatched eggs even had money in them. Oh, does she know my kids!

As much as Emet travels, Kim has been a part of so many firsts for AL. I probably couldn't name them all. She drives to my house in the middle of the night when I have to take one of them to the ER, she didn't say a word the first year (ok, maybe longer) when my house was a complete disaster, she understands when I just need time to get things done and she goes with Emet and AL to museums in DC, she knows my kitchen better than I do, and she ALWAYS just makes life a little easier.

I am so happy that it was Kim I cut in front of while waiting to move into our freshman dorm at GWU.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm glad you cut in front of me too.