Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring...

When I was backpacking through Europe after college, my friends and I ended up traveling with an Australian guy named Aaron for a couple of weeks. I remember a few snippets from my time with him (I learned what Vegemite was and that I never wanted to eat it again). However, the one thing that stuck with me was his commentary on Istanbul. As we planned this trip, circling in my mind were Aaron's words, if you go to Istanbul, bring your own toilet paper. Hmmmmm, what implications does this have for our trip? How much toilet paper should I pack? 

Aaron's warning quickly left my mind this past January. On my way to India, I had a long layover in Istanbul, so I actually left the airport, took a taxi to the happening part of town and walked around for about 5 hours. I LOVED it! In a nutshell, it was lush, green, quaint, and friendly. So when we decided to spend one glorious day touring Istanbul after our trip to Antalya, I was so excited. I should have realized that grass does not become lush and green without copious amounts of water!

It rained the entire time we were walking around the city. The great packer that I am forgot to bring jackets, rain coats, hats, or umbrellas. My kids were troopers. We were absolutely soaked, but we still managed to see a few things in Istanbul!


I had NO idea that Istanbul was the only city that
spreads over two continents-Europe and Asia!
We were driving by this sign on the bridge and I couldn't
really ask the driver to pull over so I could get a better picture.
Although I admit, I was tempted.


Massive traffic jams at
every turn in Istanbul

Turkish dude taking advantage
of the traffic jam. Just trying to make a livin'.
View of one of the many bridges 
There were so many mosques.
They were all beautiful!

We went to a delicious Turkish kitchen for dinner one night.
The hostess asked us our nationality when we entered and then
plopped these flags on our table.  We were the only people in the entire
restaurant with flags on our table!
Want an appetizer? In Istanbul you don't order them
from a menu, you grab them from a man pushing a cart.
Hagia Sophia:  basilica, mosque, and now a museum...




The Cistern in Istanbul:  we walked underground and explored this magical cavern.  The columns were illuminated and created an eerie almost mystical feeling.


So full circle back to the toilet paper issue.  Let's visit the restrooms of Istanbul.


I thought it was important for you to see
these mothballs in the sink area.  I was hoping
you could actually smell them.  Little did I know, that
a Turkish woman would begin hitting me repeatedly
in the arm for taking pictures. I continued to snap photos
and walked away with an earful and a bruised arm.
So please enjoy this picture.


This sign was inside the bathroom stall.
Solid waste?
There are no trash cans in the stalls,
so I guess you are supposed to
scoop your poop out of the toilet and
carry it to the sink area and throw it out
in the garbage can with the paper towels.
Eeewwwww! 

1 comment:

M said...

LOL! Mike and I just had a good laugh over the toilet sign picture. His response was , "WHAAA?"
Thank God I don't live there!