Sunday, January 23, 2011

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

OK, I know The Sound of Music does not take place in Vienna...but it is still Austria!

We spent about a week with my aunt, cousin, and my cousin's son. My brother came for a few days after Christmas also. There was so much to do and to see! Here are a few highlights.

We visited Schonbrunn Palace, one of Austria's most important cultural monuments. It was stunning, especially as a backdrop to the magnificent Christmas tree and Christmas market!

While in the palace, we were able to dress as royalty. I think these pictures speak for themselves. My children should each be referred to as "Your Majesty" from now on.

This is a formal declaration of some sort.




There were many Christmas markets (which were outside....brrrr!) where vendors set up shop and sold various items. They sold a lot of mulled wine (probably because of the freezing temperatures). They gave you an actual mug that you could either keep for a small fee or return when you finished your warm drink.

This is my Tante Biggi toasting with Emet.


Everywhere you look the buildings are amazing. They look old, but strong. They have character.


This is the Vienna Opera House. My grandfather played violin in the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, so he played here on many occasions.


Emet, my Tante Biggi, my cousin Karin, AL and Karin's son, N, who is also five. My boys and N proved during this trip that Spider-man and dinosaurs are part of a universal language.


They had the most amazing 8 story aquarium! These jellyfish were mesmerizing.



On New Year's Eve, which they call Silvester, we went down to the city square. I imagine it was a little like going to Times Square in NYC for NYE. It was packed with people and decorations. My favorite part was that an entire area of the square was dedicated to people waltzing! I am not sure if you can tell from this picture, but they are all dancing.

We went to a few bars that night and even in the techno disco (that had a laser light show, I might add), when the clock struck 12, everyone began to waltz! This is when it became clearly evident that I did not grow up in Austria. Mom, you must bow your head in shame. I can't waltz.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Beautiful pictures. How amazing that you get to see all of these places. I live vicariously through you.
So, regardless that I may sound dumb here...people are waltzing at midnight and it's still light out?
Michelle

Kim said...

I'm giggling right now on an airplane envisioning your waltz!

Jenny said...

Those pictures of the Highnesses are fabulous! I'm not sure you all will be able to come to our house for dinner when you get back - we can't live up to such expectations.