Saturday, January 29, 2011

Off to Prague We Go!

The last thing I remember about Prague was getting off the bus and staying at some random man's apartment for a day or two.  We ate amazing crepes from a street vendor and walked the Charles Bridge at night.  Wait, that was 20 years ago.  I am no longer touring with my friend Michele, lugging our backpacks around Europe, and engaging in activities that I can't share with most people....


I will focus on the present.  At least in this blog post.


This visit involved a large bearded man and two small children...and sadly, no crepes.  We did, however, take the bus from Vienna to Prague.  Once in this amazingly beautiful city, we took a tour, walked the Christmas markets, and took a funicular up to Petrin Hill.

By far, my favorite activity was to walk around the cobblestone streets, people watch, and peek into the shops.
Gargoyles such as these warded off evil spirits around Prague's Castle.  If you ask me, they look evil themselves!
I love when buildings use light to accentuate their beauty.

Charles Bridge--even 20 years later this is still my favorite part of Prague.  Artists gather along this walking bridge to sell their artwork, jewelery, and other crafts.

                              
                A water wheel alongside the Charles Bridge


A view of Prague from Charles Bridge
Old Town Square

It is amazing how the same city can seem so vastly different a month after college graduation and then again when you are, cough, um, ugh, a bit older. Two totally different experiences. And the best part is...I wouldn't trade either one of them.

2 comments:

M said...

Wow. Beautiful. My favorite picture is the first one.

Tom said...

Besides Munich & Vienna, I really need to go to Prague.