Monday, January 31, 2011

India, Take One.

Many of you know that I turned 40 this year.  I am not sure how this happened since I was just 18, but it did. In order to properly celebrate turning 40, my friend Beth (whose b-day is in January) and I decided to take a trip. We couldn't decide where to go for the longest time. We settled on India and Beth did all of the research (thank goodness!). I, on the other hand, spent countless hours sweating, literally, about getting my visa. No longer can you get your visa at the airport in India. You must get it from the Indian Embassy in your home country. OK, doesn't seem like a big deal until you are an American living in Georgia and the closest Indian Embassy is in Armenia.

I finally found a travel agent who could arrange for me to get my visa. I went to him in October and he told me it was too soon and I should return mid November. I showed up on his doorstep on November 15th and he was surprised to see me. I forked over way too much money and hesitantly handed him my passport. Not a copy of my passport, but my actual passport. Since I had done my fair share of emailing with the American and Indian Embassies, I could attest to the fact that this was a tricky adventure. So I asked him how he would manage to get my visa. His response was, "I shouldn't tell you because it is not really legal." I laughed because I thought for sure he was kidding. Since he didn't offer any further explanation, I am not so sure how much of a joke it really was.

After many phone calls, unexpected forms to fill out, and additional money deliveries, I received my visa and passport late in the afternoon on Friday December 17th. I was leaving that Sunday and the travel agency was closed on Saturday. I was so frustrated that I was determined to tell this man what I thought of his services. I waited until I had the goods in hand and positioned myself for an easy exit and then proceeded to tell him how his lackadaisical attitude and business dealings almost caused me to have a bleeding ulcer.  He shrugged his shoulders as if he could care less. Then it dawned on me.  He didn't care.  AAAAHHHHHHH!   UGGGGHHHHHHHH! OK, I am harboring a few remnants of anger from this situation, but I am really trying to let it go. Can't you tell?

Lesson:  Never go to a country that requires a visa. Unless you can get it at the airport.

On to happier topics- the actual trip!
I have been struggling with how to organize my post for India. There is so much to say... so many pictures I want to share. Since I finally realized that I have poetic license to organize this any way I see fit, I decided to break up my posts into three sections: Buildings, People, and Noteworthy Events. Hopefully, I can come up with better titles than this, but if not, then at least there will be no question as to what you will be reading about.

Stay tuned....

4 comments:

Sandra Dee said...

Looking forward to seeing your pics and reading about your fabulous trip!

LML,
Sandy

M said...

I am on the edge of my seat...

Anonymous said...

waiting.........

Tom said...

Do I need to comment to get you motivated to continue. I truly am interested.