Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Click it or Ticket

I may have mentioned in previous posts about the crazy, zig-zag, make you dizzy way of driving here. I know I told you all about the fact that the white lines on the roads are optional. Did I also happen to mention that NO ONE wears a seat belt?

Beliefs about seat belts, as told by Georgians:
1. If you put on a seat belt, you are drawing attention to yourself. Obviously, you must be drunk or impaired in some other way. Don't do it, you will just get in trouble with the police.

2. If you are a passenger in a car and reach for your seat belt, you have just insulted the driver. You are insinuating that the driver is unfit to drive. You might as well just get out of the car if you make the mistake of reaching for your seat belt. It won't be a pleasant ride.

Well, as of today, December 1st, all people in the front seats of cars must wear their seat belts. If they are pulled over and not wearing one, it is a 40 Lari fine.

Hooray! I have tried to teach some of my Georgian friends the phrase "click it or ticket"...I don't think they get it though. They do, however, get a laugh from watching me attempt to act it out.

Next step: No more babies between the driver's legs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I think I may be less of a history buff. I just googled Stalin. I knew the name, and that's about it. lol.
1- can't believe they would let anyone even touch the displays in his house
2- I would have freaked out if AL were laying on the bed as well.
3- I would never survive in another country.
Michelle

Monica said...

you are funny, michelle. am i making georgia sound so terrible? i hope not! I am bringing you to the next family dinner so i won't be alone when the history talk starts!