Saturday, December 4, 2010

How Long Do Vibes Last?

A few weeks ago, Emet's friend Jonathan came to visit--such fun! While he was here, we went on a day trip to Stalin's birth place. Traveling to Gori did not take very long, but we got to see beautiful landscape and lots of animals along the way. Not really being a history buff (this is a bit of an understatement, as my father-in-law might say), I walked around the Stalin museum wondering how someone's life ends up the way his did.

Stalin's Death Mask


We saw the train he used to travel the country.


This was Stalin's house when he was a child. His entire family lived in this small room.


As Lucas laid on the bed where Stalin slept, I became a bit unnerved. Are Stalin's vibes still there? Will they seep into Lucas' skin, penetrating his soul? OK, maybe a bit dramatic, but really these were the thoughts that ran through my mind as I hurried Lucas off the bed.


Before we continued our journey, we stopped for lunch. I love going to restaurants outside of Tbilisi...you never know what kind of experience you will have. Being a former vegetarian, I tried my best to ignore all of the animals on display.

Just a little down time, before our food arrived.


We then drove about 15 minutes to Uplistsikhe. This is considered one of the oldest urban settlements in Georgia.


We paid our entrance fee and hired a guide. He spoke a bit of English, but I had a very hard time understanding him. It was obvious he had created a "script" because if we asked a question, he would get all flustered as if we disrupted his place in the script and was unsure if he would be able to find his place again. We were able to put together some information from our guide and he charged us much less than other tour guides because he told us that he didn't have "60 Lari English only 40 Lari English".

It was fascinating to see how people built their homes on the edge of these cliffs. They had sewer streets, a well, pagan temples, a theater....


This is the temple at the top of the hill.

Doesn't this look like a face (profile)?



Since my return to Tbilisi, I learned about a legend that the slaves who built the town were given an axe of gold, with an iron end. The harder they worked, carving the buildings out of the sandstone rocks, the earlier they were left with a piece of pure gold. Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is true or not.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE reading your posts! You are so funny, and I feel like I'm listening to you like when we talk on the phone. You guys are having such amazing experiences! ENJOY!
- Michelle W

Tom said...

I really NEED to go to Gori!

Monica said...

@ Michelle--thanks! I wish you could come visit!

@ Tom-- we thought of you the entire time we were there. It is on our list of things to do when you are here (although i may stay home this time!)

Anonymous said...

Um...I posted a comment 2 days ago and it's gone. Hm.
Michelle

Monica said...

@ Michelle--look in click it or ticket...is that the one?

Anonymous said...

No...I said I am even less of a history bugg because I had to google Stalin to see what he did again. I knew the name...and that's about it.
Michelle

Monica said...

@Michelle--i think you emailed me that...maybe didn't post it?