Thursday, November 11, 2010

Yes, She Saw My....

Day 2 Dr. Visit:

Remember the L-O-N-G conversation about what time I should arrive for my appointment? Remember in the end I was told to come at 9:30? Yeah, well, I should have known better.

The Dr. walked into the clinic at 10:14 -no mention of the time or being late (Georgians are notorious for not keeping to a scheduled time). I walked into the exam room and the first thing she said to me was, "OK, I want to see your cervix."

We have moved up in the world!

I looked around for a gown, and saw nothin'. I waited a few seconds thinking she might leave the room. Instead, she just stood there with this disgusted look on her face as if I was wasting her time by not getting undressed. She finally led me to a bed and handed me feet coverings. I asked her what I should take off and she said everything from the bottom down, but not my socks. So as she watched me, I undressed. I started laughing hysterically when I put on the blue booties because now I had to walk across the room to the exam table half naked, with these ridiculous looking blue booties covering my socks. It struck me as so funny that she insisted I wear booties, but could care less if all else was exposed for "everyone" to see.


I climbed up on the table, still laughing. The Dr. then began to laugh. At one point she shook her head and mumbled something. I think she thought I was crazy. My laughter was quickly silenced when I realized that this exam table was different than American ones. As many of us so fondly know, the stirrups are where we place our feet. Here in Georgia, however, the stirrups go behind the back of your knee. As a result, your tush is completely elevated off of the table. I tried not to be self conscious as the Dr. continued to laugh.

Is that a Diet Coke on the exam tray?


Once that was complete, the Dr. chatted with me as I got dressed (a bit awkward, I might add) and then walked me to the ultrasound room (she decided she wanted an ultrasound of my thyroid).

I entered the ultrasound room and there were 2 women in there. One of them looked at me and said, "strip." Silly me, glanced around for a gown and automatically waited again for them to leave the room. No one made a move, so I just started taking off clothes. Once I was undressed, one of the women moved me around the bed about 100 times. The tech then emptied about half a tube of the ultrasound gel all over my chest and neck. As she was working her magic with the wand, I heard the door open and a man walked in. At this point my back was to him, so I was only a bit flustered. He then walked towards me and stood in front of me, talking to the ultrasound tech.

Really?

Since I was half naked, I tried to cover up with my arms, but just ended up getting cold gel everywhere! I think I uttered something in a panicked state and the man just looked at me blankly and muttered, "It is OK, I am a Dr." He continued the conversation with the tech and then walked out. Oh, how I wished I had a gown. At least then I could have used it to wipe up all of the blue goop that was now on my chest, neck, face, and arms. Ugh.

Luckily, nothing exciting happened at the blood draw. It has been five days and I am still waiting on my results. When I called the Dr. on Tuesday, she told me I should come in to see her. When I asked if she had my results yet, she said no. Did she just want to have lunch with me? Maybe see my uterus? I didn't negotiate, argue, or try to understand...I just told her that I would wait to see her until she had all of my blood tests back.

Wonder how long that will take? If it goes past 2 weeks, I may try to bribe her. A peek at my fallopian tubes for my test results. Think it will work?


4 comments:

deirdre said...

So....I just spewed apple all over my computer screen as I convulsed with laughter. Luckily, it is just the Dell. I think you should prepare a stand-up routine.

Anonymous said...

Can I purchase the movie rights to you Georgian adventures?

Manny

Anonymous said...

OH.MY.GOD. I read this aloud so Mike and I could both crack up. Have you read my blog post where I'm in stirrups for my IVF transfer, spread eagle for the world to see, with 2 nurses, and my male doctor...and the embryologist walks in right at my feet and says, "Two Grade A embryos!" And then says "Good luck" to my vajayjay, because Lord knows he could not have seen my face from down there.
Michelle

Denise said...

I'm so glad you can see the humor in all this so we can all enjoy it too! Whenever I'm in a bad mood, I know where to go!