Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sun, Sand, and Surf...It Doesn't Get Any Better!


Emet suggested the last part of our Italy vacation be spent on the beach! Yippeee! We took a short train ride over to Viareggio, a beach town on the Italian Riveria. We stayed in Hotel Eden (pronounced Aidan!) where if all four of us were standing up at the same time in the room, there wasn't really enough room for us to turn around. However, since we spent most of our time on the beach, it was all good.

Being a Jersey girl, I thought I had mastered the art of going down the shore. Before each summer, I scoured the stores for the perfect beach chair. It had to recline in just the right positions, be a certain height from the sand....I know you probably don't believe me, but I had a lot of criteria for my beach chair. Once we got to the beach, it was important to find the perfect location to set up for the day. Now that I have kids, the definition of the "perfect location" has changed a bit. Now, it is essential for me to be close to the water so that my kids can play and I can sit comfortably and watch them. I don't go in the water. It skeeves me out.

Our first day on the beach was a bit of a surprise. I was excited to see that we could rent a chair, a beach bed (aka lounge chair), or an umbrella. However, I noticed quickly that all of the chairs and umbrellas were in completely straight lines along the beach. It didn't look like there was any choice at all to location. After some hyperventilating, we rented two beach beds because they were closest to the water. We set up our toys, drinks, and snacks and tried to move our beds closer to the water. Big mistake. It was as if an alarm went off. The lifeguard came running over and moved our chairs back. He even flipped the back of the chair back up that was in front of us, so we could not see beyond it. I guess he didn't care if we watched AL in the water. That is what he gets paid for, I think? That and ensuring the chairs and beds are all in perfect order.



The first day we were on the beach, we were approached by many people selling different items. Toys, jewelry, towels, massages. Emet couldn't resist. He got a full-body 50 minute massage while relaxing on his beach bed. He said it was one of the best massages he has gotten! She then proceeded to come back daily asking if he wanted another one.


The other thing that struck me was people's comfort levels with their bodies. No matter their shape, size, or sagginess 97% of women wore bikinis...no matter their age. On our second day, I was surprised to see someone in a one piece bathing suit. As she passed me, I could hear snippets of her conversation with her friend. And I could understand her. That explained it. There were a fair amount of women who were topless as well. This doesn't bother me in the least--I understand the desire for no tan lines! I think it is funny though that AL didn't even notice! (I will make no comment of Emet here). The part that I thought was interesting was the kind of activities these women took part in while sunbathing topless. My favorite by far was the 60+ woman who sat upright on her beach bed plucking her chin hairs.

We spent 4 days on the beach. Some days, Emet took AL back to the room because Operation No Nap is still not 100% successful. Some days, Aidan fell asleep on the beach bed. The last day before we left there was massive flooding due to all of the rain. We hung out in our peanut sized room and got out to walk around when we could. We also ate a fair amount of gelato during this entire vacation (ok, probably every day). That is a very good thing.







1 comment:

M said...

Ok, even for me- who likes all of her ducks in a row- the sight of this beach is INSANE. Who lines up umbrellas like that? It looks like you are packed in like sardines.
Interesting.
Michelle